The Great East Window
The Great East Window in Doncaster Minster was installed in 1862 and is dedicated to Reverend John Sharpe, who was vicar of Doncaster from 1817 until his death in July1860.
After Reverend Sharpe’s death over 100 members of the public raised money and commissioned Hardman and Company to design a window to replace the clear glass window that was installed during the rebuild of the Church.
Hardman and Company of Paradise Street in Birmingham was a well respected and renowned firm producing excellent quality of work in conjunction with architects such as Augustus Pugin and George Gilbert Scott.
The window depicting the Life and Passion of our Lord was manufactured and, as reported in the London Illustrated News, somewhat surprisingly exhibited in its entirety, along with 10 other examples of Hardman’s work, at the International Exhibition in London. After the Exhibition was completed the entire window was dismantled, transported to Doncaster and installed in the Church.
The window comprises eight upright lights which show the great events at the end of our Lord’s life on earth, The Passion, Resurrection and Ascension.
Above the upright lights the tracery shows the twelve apostles and twelve angels surrounding our Lord.
The following photographs show the window and its story in much greater detail than can be seen by the naked eye.
The story is begins at the bottom of the first and second lights and continues through lights three and four, five and six, and is completed in lights seven and eight.